Am I eligible for the Post-Baccalaureate Licensure in the Arts program?

You are eligible to apply for admission if you hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university; however, individuals with a degree in the relevant concentration will have the least number of courses to complete (generally, just the 27 credit hours).  

What are the requirements for the program?

All specialty areas are 27 credit hours. Upon successful completion of the program, you will earn a North Carolina “A” level license.

How long will it take to complete the program?

If you enroll in the Fast Track program beginning in the fall semester, you can be finished in as little as 16 months (one year and one semester). If you enroll in our Flex program, the program can take 28 months (two years and one semester) or more, depending upon your needs. 

When are classes held?

Classes are once a week for three hours between the hours of 5 – 7:50 p.m. for 15 weeks in the fall and spring semesters. Summer sessions are six weeks and classes meet twice a week from 5 – 8:30 p.m. Any related undergraduate courses may be held throughout the day, so these courses should be planned carefully with your advisor (if applicable).

What are the GRE requirements?

Entrance exams (GRE) are not required for admission into the Graduate Programs in Education at Meredith College.

Can I begin in the spring or summer semesters?

Yes; however, the fast track option may take longer than 16 months. You will need to meet with your advisor to develop a planned program. 

How much time in addition to class will I need to spend on my studies?

The Post-Baccalaureate Licensure in the Arts is an evening program which requires flexibility for field experiences during daytime hours.  For each three-credit hour class, students should plan to spend on average 6-9 hours each week on field experiences, class preparation, and assignments. Student teaching the last semester is conducted during school hours. 

Can I arrange my own field experiences and student teaching?

Field experiences and student teaching will be arranged by Meredith faculty in the education department. The design of the program is to have meaningful field experiences connected to course content in diverse placements.

I am an Instructional Assistant. How will my field experience work?

According to North Carolina law, if you are enrolled in a state-approved Education Preparation Program (EPP) and employed by a North Carolina Public School, you are entitled to receive your salary and benefits while completing your field experience. You may be able to complete most fieldwork assignments in your school of employment with permission from your administration and program coordinator. For your internship semester, your program coordinator will assign you to a different school for your student-teaching experience for your internship semester.   

Are Meredith’s teacher education programs accredited?

Meredith is accredited under the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) standards through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) accreditation system, the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NC DPI), and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS COC).

Thank you for your Interest!

You can connect with a graduate admissions counselor in a variety of ways—choose the one that’s most convenient for you. We look forward to hearing from you!
(919) 760-8316

Strong Story | Larissa Byrant

After graduating with her MAT, Larissa Bryant, ’13, was well prepared to become a teacher and to have a positive impact on her students’ future.

After graduating with her MAT, Larissa Bryant, ’13, was well prepared to become a teacher and to have a positive impact on her students’ future.

Contact Information  
207 Ledford Hall
(919) 760-8316
Facebook Instagram Instagram

Skip to content