STUDIO ART MAJOR
at Meredith College
As a studio art major, you will be prepared to pursue the creation of visual art both professionally and academically. You’ll gain practical and creative experience through interactions with professional artists in a variety of settings, and above all, you’ll learn to make art that matters.
Our Studio Art Majors
The studio art major offers individualized instruction that will help you discover your personal style and preferred media. You’ll learn to function creatively through a variety of experiences designed to help you gain an understanding of the artistic process and human culture.
In addition to cultivating your artistic skills, the program will instruct you on the basic business practices, legal rights and procedures, and presentation and marketing methods that lead artists to professional success.
The program provides preparation for graduate school or for many entry-level art positions.You will begin the studio art major your first semester of your freshman year in order to avoid delays in graduation and allow time for internships and research studies.
Why Study Studio Art at Meredith?
- Students of the studio art major learn to engage intellectually and creatively to gain critical thinking and problem solving skills that will prepare them for a variety of professional careers.
- A studio art major will be able to
- Demonstrate competency of media specific processes and techniques
- Communicate concepts evidenced through artist statements, knowledge of art history, and self-assessment
- Meredith is a signatory school on articulation agreements with the North Carolina Community College System, allowing students who have completed an Associate of Fine Arts degree to enroll at Meredith in pursuit of a B.A. in Graphic Design or Studio Art.
- Meredith’s Frankie G. Weems Art Gallery showcases a wide variety of artists, media, and subject matter, with new exhibitions featured throughout the year, providing studio art students vast opportunities for learning.
- Explore a rich variety of expressive media and conceptual approaches to art, including photography, clay, textiles, painting, video, drawing, mixed media, printmaking, and installations.
- Gain practical and creative experience not only in the classroom, but also through numerous internship opportunities to interact with professional artists. Internships completed by studio art majors include
- North Carolina Museum of Art
- Pullen Art Center
- Penland Residency
- Frankie G. Weems Gallery
- Students have access to scholarships exclusive to studio art majors, including
Careers in Studio Art
A studio art degree prepares students for professional success as well as graduate study. Professional positions held and graduate programs attended by recent graduates of Meredith’s studio art program include the following
- Graduate School, NC State School of Design
- M.A. in Studio Art, UNC-Greensboro
- Graduate School, New York Academy of Fine Arts
- Graduate Program in Art Therapy, George Washington University
- Sculptor, Ocala, Fla. and Asheville, N.C.
- Art Therapist, Newport News Behavioral Health Center
- Assistant Marketing Manager, North Carolina Museum of Art
- Web Designer, Cafepress.com
- Art Teacher, Wake County Public School System
- Graphic Designer, Meridian Zero Degrees; National Congressional Budget Office
- Art Gallery Staff, Mahler Fine Art Gallery, Raleigh, N.C.
Nikki Wertz, ’19, is a woman of few words. As a studio art major, she uses her art to tell stories, express herself, and be a voice for social issues that matter to her. It’s through art that she finds her voice.
Margaret Gaskin-Tuell, ’18, never stopped painting, and she never gave up on her dream of earning her degree in her craft – a dream that ultimately led her to Meredith College.
Take a tour of Gaddy-Hamrick Art Center, the home of visual arts at Meredith College. Our art students benefit from a rigorous but supportive environment led by faculty who are award-winning, professional artists. Meredith offers a wide variety of opportunities for students to hone their artistic skills in the classroom and beyond in arts-rich Raleigh, N.C. Choose from majors in art education, graphic design, and studio art.
Studio Art News
This spring, the Frankie G. Weems Gallery is featuring the work of individual artists who represent current and recent faculty and staff members at Meredith College. The exhibition is on view from January 25 through March 10, 2024.
The Fall 2023 Senior Art Exhibition, Memoirs: Unveiling Identity, will be featured in the Frankie G. Weems Gallery at Meredith College. Four emerging artists will showcase their artistic growth and development during their undergraduate program. Camille Duncan, Hannah Cox, Kelly Johnson, and Morgan Thompson are studio art, graphic design, and art education majors who are proud to share their milestones through their extensive and diverse portfolios.
The Frankie G. Weems Gallery at Meredith College features “BEAUTY AS CURRENCY,” the work of Paige Greeley from October 12–November 5.