The Undergraduate Research Advisory Committee (URAC) considers travel and research grant proposals. Funding decisions are based on the overall quality of the proposal and the completeness and accuracy of the application. The URAC will not accept proposals without explicit proposal approval by the student’s faculty research mentor. The URAC finalizes decisions on individual travel grants only upon confirmation that the student’s conference proposal has been accepted.
Other factors the advisory committee may consider when making decisions on grant awards include
- The total cost of conference attendance
- Previous funding received for travel from Undergraduate Research
- Relationship of project to the student’s field of study and future educational and professional goals
Research & Travel Grants
1st Submission Period
Submission Date: Friday, October 27 by 4 p.m. Approval Date: Friday, November 3
2nd Submission Period
Submission Date: Friday, March 9 by 4 p.m. Approval Date: Friday, March 16
- To apply for a travel grant, complete the travel grant proposal form.
- To apply for a research grant, complete the research grant proposal form.
- The Undergraduate Research Advisory Committee uses the following rubric to assess proposals.
- Send a digital copy of the proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, if unable to send the proposal digitally, then please send your completed form with a signed cover sheet via campus mail to: Undergraduate Research 15B Lux Hall
If funding for a research grant is approved for 2023-24, a request for reimbursement along with copies of original receipts must be submitted to the office of Undergraduate Research by no later than April 28, 2023.
If funding for a travel grant is approved for 2022-23, each individual should submit a request for reimbursement by itemizing their individual expenses and provide copies of original receipts. Requests for reimbursement should be submitted by individual students, not faculty, and should be submitted within 14 days of completion of travel.
Summer Research Partnerships
Complete the Summer Research Partnership Application.
The deadline for applications to be submitted is on March 23, 2024, by 5 p.m.
Students will be notified of their application decisions on April 6, 2024.
The Undergraduate Research Committee reviews applications and makes funding recommendations. Rubrics for summer proposals are available on the Undergraduate Research MyMeredith webpage.
We encourage the research work to be done full-time for 35 hours a week for eight weeks. In consultation with faculty mentors, students may propose part-time or interrupted schedules based on the project and particular summer scheduling needs.
Projects that involve student collaborations are highly encouraged, and projects involving up to two students may submit a single application and project outline. Each student involved in the collaboration should outline their contribution to the project, including time commitment.
Individual stipends will depend on individual commitment to the project. Partnerships that blend scholarly research in collaboration with community partners are also encouraged.