Dana Sumner relies on her strengths to manage and support the development of a five-person team who provide career counseling and professional development to Meredith students and alumnae. The Career Planning team actively relies on its mission, values, and vision to guide their work to create and facilitate innovative ideas, programs, collaborations, and initiatives to prepare and empower Meredith students and alumnae to succeed in careers aligned with their strengths, values, and goals. As a strengths based team, the Office of Career Planning purposefully aims their unique talents to meet departmental and institutional needs, goals, and desired outcomes, which in turn, leads to greater team engagement, purpose, and productivity.
Dana prioritizes relationships with campus and community partners. She partners with faculty and staff to present career related topics in the classroom. She connects with professionals across industries to better understand the recruiting landscape, organizational hiring needs and trends, and to develop collaborations that will benefit Meredith students and alumnae.
In addition to her supervisory, administrative, and strategic planning roles, Dana applies a strengths based approach in session with students and alumnae as they pursue their career goals. She meets individually and in groups with students on a variety of topics that include career planning, career management, and career transitions, strengths development, writing tailored documents, the job search, networking, and graduate school. Asking great questions that require clients to reflect and be engaged is one of the things she does best.
Before coming to Meredith College, Dana worked in student development at Elon University, Appalachian State University, and Queens University of Charlotte.
M.A., Student Development, Appalachian State University
B.A., Psychology, Stetson University
- National Association of Colleges and Employers
- North Carolina Association of Colleges and Employers
- North Carolina Career Development Association
- Gallup-Certified Strengths Coach
- North Carolina Career Development Association, Roy N. Anderson Award, 2017
- Meredith College Staff Recognition Award, 2012
- Meredith College HALO Award, 2007
- North Carolina Association of Colleges and Employers, Furney K. James Outstanding Service Award, 2006
- North Carolina Career Development Association, New Professional Award, 2004