« All Events
MLK Week of Service, Reflection, and Action
February 1, 2023 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Wednesday, Feb 1st 10am Kresge: “Call to Action Celebration!” Leaders with Urban Community AgriNomics will speak, and students who engaged in at least 3 of the six “Week of” events will be entered into a drawing for the “Service Swag.” The guest speakers will be sisters Delphine Godley Sellars and Lucille Godley Patterson, who will speak about the 501(c)3 nonprofit they founded in 2016: Urban Community AgriNomics(UCAN) and issue a call to action as a kick-off to Black History Month. UCAN was founded on a reclaimed former plantation, with a mission to improve the health and wellness of the community and provide education, resources, and agricultural skills. UCAN addresses food insecurities, racial and economic disparities, and utilizes sustainable agriculture in order to:
- Create opportunities for all people to have equal access to fresh produce and the knowledge of how to grow it themselves.
- Honor and respect the environment.
- Educate individuals in how to create gardens; especially for communities that have limited green spaces.
- Cultivate safe community spaces where residents come together to build relationships around agriculture.
- Collaborate long term relationships based on trust and inclusion.
- MLK Week of Service Reflection, and Action
Come and participate in events dedicated to MLK, Service and Call to Action. Attend at least 3 events and come to the February 1st event for a chance to win some Meredith SWAG!
For questions, contact Kacey Reynolds Schedler,
Assistant Director of Student Leadership & Service, at email@example.com